Tuesday 15 July 2014

The Realities of a Festival

I went to T in the Park this weekend and when I was there I thought it would be interesting to make a blog post about the actual happenings of a festival and what does it actually take to get that perfect instagram worthy festival pic where the sun is setting, your decked out in UV paint enjoying the music and atmosphere? 



The band was a black, red star design it's a shame that they fastened it so tight that it hurt my wrist and had to cut it off when I got home, I'm the person who tries to keep festival bands on for as long as possible so this was quite upsetting. 


This is my sister Katie who thought her hat was the best thing ever (follow her on Instagram @katieegreenwood)


When I thought of Scotland I thought rain, cold weather i didn't plan my wardrobe for boiling sunny days so I ended up sweltering in shirts on the last day I gave up the 'fashion student status' and opted for an Alex Turner t-shirt, PJ shorts and wellies.


Ellie Goulding (pictured above) was insanely good she had the whole crowd going singing along to all her songs.


The security pissed me off so much during the festival they had no idea what was happening and didn't want to help you at all when I was in the crowd waiting for Ed Sheeran to come on my sister had a sun stroke and needed to be pulled out of the crowd just when Ed came on stage. This would have been prevented if the security at the front of the barrier were passing cups of water out to the crowd constantly but they only passed 3 cups every hour or so which obviously wasn't going to help anyone, they had barrels of water and cups they were just too lazy to hand any out. 






The atmosphere at Steve Angello was so good the crowd were up for it and with it being the first night of the acts starting everyone just wanted to party.


This was the Palm stage which played chilled house music where everyone went to after the acts finished on the night, I wish you could have seen how cringey the DJ's were they were in their 30's and taking selfies with the crowd and doing weird dance moves then one of them tried to crowd surf but the crowd wasn't having any of that.


Yes I wore completely sequinned shorts I wanted to be a shining disco queen for Calvin Harris who was brilliant although the rain absolutely soaked us it felt like someone was just chucking buckets of water at me.




I'm in love with this palm tree print shirt I got from New Look it's a soft cotton and is so comfy I think I'll do an OOTD post on it soon so look out for that...



I took these next few photos to show you the aftermath of a festival, rubbish thrown everywhere, empty cans littering the place for me, a neat freak this was really pushing my boundaries!


It's safe to say I don't want to taste cider in a very long time as that was all I drank for 3 days straight I'm sick of the sight of those cans!


When I went food and drink shopping with my friends prior to T we decided to get 8 cans of these different cocktails for a £1 each we thought it would be great but when I tasted them (cocktails being my speciality drink) it was like drinking flavoured mouthwash. This certainly isn't comparable to my favourite Peach Bellini at Dirty Martini!


A tent for £17 from Argos for a 3 day festival seemed a bargain until it was Saturday night and the torrential rain had soaked through my tent leaving puddles everywhere and soaking my clothes. I legit had a breakdown as this was my worse nightmare but I decided to go sleep in my friends tent as their's was bigger and most importantly dry. This meant for the next day and a half I only had sequinned shorts to wear (which were too big for me and kept falling down) so I opted for PJ shorts, not quite fashion icon but at least I was dry and comfortable! I think I'll try and get PJ's into wearable fashion that way everyone will be happy.


This is the guys smiling after the most stressful morning of my two friends on the left having their bag stolen in the night with their travel tickets, ID, iPhone, money etc. in for hours they done everything they could to solve the issue but 3 hours later a kind girl handed it into lost property finding it near her tent. Thankfully everything was still there except the cash so it was a HUGE relief to us all we could now manage to enjoy the last day of the festival!



Before Bastille came on stage Radio 1 DJ Greg James came on stage to get everyone to shout 'Bye Bye Balado' as it was the last year the site would be used for T in the Park and I love Greg's show so it was so exciting to see him in person (also a slight crush on him but shhhh).



Okay I'll say it, I'm in love with Alex Turner I can't help it even with his slightly ridiculous American-twinged accent and slicked back hair it makes me love him more, I normally hate arrogance in people but with him I think it works towards his charm. Arctic Monkeys were my absolute favourite act that I saw I love this band so much they were one of the main reasons I went to T in the Park so I could see them again. 

Getting back to the point of this post what you don't see in the instagram picture of festival go-ers is the hours in the burning sun, getting sun stroke and sun burn, leaking tents, littered mess, poor hygiene, vile toilets that you could smell a mile off and creepy guys going inside your tent at 5am to steal your belongings while your asleep.
After all this is it worth it to see your favourite bands, join in the festival atmosphere with a group of people who share the same love for music and escape from reality for a few days to a place where anything is accepted and youth is lived endlessly through the night?

Yes, absolutely yes.

Instagram - @stephgreenwoodx
Twitter - @stephgreenwoodx

Click here for Part One of my Festival Trilogy and here for Part Two or click the 'Festival Trilogy' tag below!

No comments:

Post a Comment